Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Working Life

So finally after all these years of education, I've become a cube monkey. Yep...I have my very own cubicle at the State Dept. Working has been good...I have a lot of downtime, but my job is very interesting.

What I do:

Basically, my job is to facilitate foreign investments by US companies in Taiwan and to encourage Taiwanese companies to invest in the US. Therefore, my daily work requires a lot of research on local and US laws, distribution channels for products, and marketing. Right now, we are working with a number of well known US companies that I cannot mention.

My Office

I work in the Taiwan World Trade Center, which is next door to Taipei 101. I get to work via the MRT and although it is close mileage wise, it takes awhile to get here because the subway is indirect. In my building, there is a pretty bad cafeteria. However, next door in Taipei 101, they have great food! There is an American store called Jason's and some very interesting restaurants. Yesterday, I had a Singaporean set lunch-it was delicious!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since your job is funded by US taxpayers' money, as a US taxpayer, I demand to know which companies are involved!

Andrea D said...

Yikes! Sounds like official stuff! Well, I hope you're having fun and maybe learning a bit about how a global economy works. That's beneficial, yes? And I hope you get to speak Mandarin fluently by the time you get back! That stinks about the food in your cafeteria. It sounds like it's a nice area, though, and I hope not too far from where you are staying. What is the transportation like there? Do you walk a lot of places? Can you take those bike-taxis that we see in the movies? What kind of cultural differences have you run in to? And most importantly, are the boys cute?!?! geez, woman, get your priorities straight!!!
much love,
andrea